- Make your own coffee when you wake up at home.
- Sleep in the apartments of others and offer to make breakfast. Prepare a meal that will get you through to dinner.
- Drink dark drinks when at bars. Make every other drink a Diet Coke. (Or even every two of
three drinks.) Your friends will be bombed, and you'll be
moderately blitzed. You will save money and earn props.
- Buy separates, never suits/dresses. Limit your color palate.
- Avoid carbs. Even though they are less expensive, you will be more
moody and bloaty. Nobody buys things for moody, bloaty people.
- Avoid gays. They spend money without a thought.
- Do not believe the "Cheap Eats" issue of any magazine. Ever.
- Have potentially fat friends. They will, it time, gain weight and give you clothes.
- Keep all of your receipts. For everything.
- Be friendly to the neighborhood bodega owner, dry cleaner, super of
your building, laundry folks, and neighbors. Listen to the stories
about the trip to the park for abuelita's 55th birthday. This may not
save you money, but it will help you realize that these folks, whose
neighborhood you probably 'gentrified' have gotten by on so much less
for so long, work harder than you could ever imagine, and have afforded
living here and found some genuine joy in their lives on meager incomes.
In response to: Tumblr.